Human Resource Management (HRM) is integral to every industry. Naturally, the insurance industry is no exception. Human Resource (HR) plays a crucial role to acquire, choose, and evaluate employees to fit the companies’ obligations and experiences. HRM also ensures the benefit and growth of the employees through pieces of training and monitoring performance. There is no doubt that HRM is essential for insurance-based companies. So, in this article, we will discuss various services and information that an HRM does for the company.
- Keeping employee records: Maintaining database is crucial for any business. But in the insurance industry, the database is even more essential as the payment and incentive breakdown in this industry is much more complicated and variable. So, it is vital for the company to maintain a proper database. Moreover, the HR team also keeps the data in both digital and hard copy formats. The HR team also look after the security of those databases in such a way that it can be easily accessible to authorized personnel.
- Human resources administration tools: Now we know how much important company databases are, we must focus on how to fetch information to correct people who need them. For this exact purpose, Human resources administration tools came into the horizon. So, if you are an insurance agent working in a company, you can check whether the person you will approach to sell an insurance plan is eligible or not, whether you have already asked him or not. Of course, the qualified HR trainer will guide you on how to operate.
- Managing employees: HRM in the insurance industry typically categorized into three sections. First, Performance Management, those who look after how many deals you have cracked in a month; and rate you accordingly. Second, Performance Appraisals, those you monitor whether or not you are eligible to get a hike in your salary or get incentives or not. Third, Performance Problems, those you will help to resolve or escalate, in case, you are in a problem, or you are causing any problem.
- Training employees: Every employee needs trading to be proficient. In the insurance industry, it is the training that makes an insurance agent deal with any clients. Clients will always have questions, sometimes doubt or scepticism as well. So, it is the responsibility of an agent to clarify any doubt or query of the client. Here, the HR trainees are skilled professionals that most of the companies hire; so that they can train the newly recruited agents to become a proficient seller.
- e-learning: Every industry is evolving via the use of technology. Now, the company which is based in Toronto can easily teach their newly recruited agents in New York by hiring professional e-learning trainees. These trainees will keep in touch with all the recruits remotely and provide whatever means necessary to make them industry-ready. This strategy saves time and money; at the same time doing wonders for the insurance company.
- Teleworkers: In the insurance industry, there is considerable attrition rate. So, your HR team has to be in their toes to find and acquire the right people for the company at a faster pace. Therefore, it is a job for the HR teleworkers. Hiring new people by calling them is their primary job. However, they are not limited to that; they can offer assistance to your employees while they are out-of-station, or attend calls from the existing client, or can even promote a new insurance plan.
- Managing employees during tough times: If you are a small business or a start-up, you are bound to face some threats now and then. As you don’t have a software solution to deal with a database error, you need professionals to take care of the problems and deal with the situation tactfully. You need professionals to deal with the case if you want to downsize your production team, to re-negotiate salary, or to cut down the incentives for a specific time. This is where your HR team’s capabilities will be tested.
- Mental health resources for employers: It is true, in the insurance industry, it is essential to have a healthy competition among the employees. But that should not create a toxic working environment. The HRM should be aware of all the internal politics that play inside of an organization. The physical health status of all the employees is crucial for the company; so, the HR team must be alert and predict what is required to keep the workplace safe and sound for everybody. They also provide frequent work counselling to keep the employee mentally motivated to crack more sales.
So, these are the primary services and information that a competent HR team typically provide to an insurance company. Please note there are lots of other functions of the HR team in the insurance industry, like managing EI, WCB, and many more.